About us


 https://carlowtourism.com/borris-map/    cut and paste on to browser to view.

TPHS Archives

E-mail john.keogh412@gmail.com

Our first OGHAM Magazine 1984 one of 18 publications a great source of local history.

Tullow Museum photo album
Website design John Keogh Bsc. Hons, Genealogy Cert .

Tullow Museum Tullow County Carlow Ireland

Tullow Museum is a voluntary body and is run by Tullowphelim Historical Society Ltd.(TPHS)  It is located in an attractive, stone built, former Methodist church at the River Slaney Bridge in Tullow. The society bought this old church and lovingly restored it with the help of many generous sponsors for future generations.

The Methodists were founded by John Wesley (1703-1791) in England. A Methodist preacher Adam Averall visited Tullow in 1807. He held a meeting at which there was a large attendance. However, on this occasion no Methodist Society was formed. Two missionaries, Robert Huston and Anketell Henderson, visited Tullow in 1847. It is likely that the Methodist Society was formed in Tullow in that year.

Edward M. Banks, a Wesleyan Minister, leased a plot of ground for 99 years from Robert Verschoyle of Eaton Square, Westminister. The lease was valid from the 25th March 1856. The site measured 55 feet at the front, 33 feet at the rear and 119 feet in depth. It was bounded North and East by Patrick Murphy's holding, on the South by Bridge Street and in the West by the River Slaney. The intention was to build a Methodist Chapel there. It was a clause in the lease that such should be built within three years. However, no chapel was erected until 1860. The rent for the property was to be 30 shillings a year.

In 1861, ten Trustees were appointed. Among them was a Methodist Minister called John Foster. Three members were from the Tullow area: Charles Thorp of Tullow Grange, Richard Meredith, and Robert Dowling. The remaining members were George Barnes, Richard Faircloth and Henry R. Banks from Carlow, Jacob Jackson from Hacketstown, Thomas Cooke from Baltinglass, James C. Ashmore of Newtownmountkennedy and Alexander Duncan from Athy.

The Tullow Methodist community was not very large. Very few meetings apart from Sunday worship were held. The building now houses the Tullow Museum and is run by Tullowphelim Historical Society Ltd.. 

Tullow Museum 

Tullow Museum features a splendid collection of artefacts, war memorabilia, photographs and shop items reflecting local history, in particular Fr. Murphy’s 1798 connection with the town, including what are reputed to be his last Mass vestments. Fr. Murphy a Wexford man championed Ireland’s cause for freedom in the battles of Vinegar Hill 1798. He was eventually captured near Tullow and killed in the town square where a monument now stands in his memory.

Our many displays feature collections of local shop and industry items, photographs, genealogy records, and headstone inscription records. The museum welcomes any information or artefacts for display purposes especially old photographs.


We are beside the River Slaney Bridge in the town of Tullow County Carlow Ireland..


voluntary contributions welcome.

genealogy searches are  time consuming and may involve travel hence we appreciate donations.

If you wish to make a donation please visit our donation page for details how!

We also have a variety of old records on local businesses from Tullow and surrounding areas. We are open to the public for the Winter months on Sundays. contact details are

E-mail john.keogh412@gmail.com


Our first magazine to be published outlining our foundation in 1984

Rathvilly Station 1930